Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, September 25, 2020

Using My Reconstituted Pastels

                                 'In the Pink'            12x9            pastel          ©Karen Margulis

                                                            available in my Etsy shop $165 



I don't know why I was so stubborn. I cleaned out my big pastel box two years ago and promised I would make pastels from the bits and pieces I collected. Two years have passed and no pastel making video! I put it off because I thought it would be too messy and time consuming. I didn't want to bother. Why did I wait!!?? I finally decided to jump in and make some pastels from my old bits and pieces and I am now addicted!  It wasn't hard at all. It wasn't even as messy as I had imagined. ...and the results were wonderful. I couldn't wait to paint with my 'new' pastels!

To be clear I didn't make pastels from scratch. That is another process. All I did was reconsitiute the pastel pieces I already had. All you need is a way to crush the broken pastels or pieces into dust and some distilled water. I used a mortar and pestle but you can use a plastic bag and rolling pin. You can easily find directions online or watch my video on my Patreon Page but the process is simple. Slowly add some distilled water to your dust and mix it into a dough. You need dough like pastry and not cream. Form the dough into a desired shape. I rolled mine and cut pieces with a palette knife. Let the pastels dry for 2-3 days before using. That's it!

I made some greens and I love the colors! I decided to use them for a bouquet of flowers. The greens are perfect for the foliage. I have some great ideas for other special pastels and I will share them soon!

Join us on Patreon! We are sharing our pastel results and the paintings we are doing with our reconstituted pastels. www.patreon.com/karenmargulis


                                                       I love these 'new' green pastels!
 

No comments: