Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, January 05, 2021

Do You Do an Annual Painting? It isn't too Late!

'Another Beautiful Day'             7x12             pastel            ©Karen Margulis       available at Etsy $275

Another new year and another annual painting! Every year for the last three years I have painted the same march view for my first painitng of the year. I challenge myself to do something different. Last year my annual painitng was in oil! This year there was a double challenge. I wanted to totally change the mood and color palette of the marsh AND I had to paint with my non dominant left hand. I had a shoulder strain so I was giving my right arm a rest. I loved this double challenge to start the year! It is also great fun to compare the new painting to the previous versions. (Scroll down to see them)

I encourage you to start this New Year exercise if you haven't already. It is a great way to see your progress form year to year and it is fun to revisit an old friend every year. What a wonderful way to start the year. ....without fear!  If you want to start, it isn't too late. Choose a favorite subject and paint. Make sure you take a photo so you have a reference should your original be sold or lost! 


Here are the pastels I used for the painting. They are a combination of Terry Ludwig and Diane Townsend Soft form pastels. I am also working on a piece of Mingart sanded paper in a dark charcoal color.  I made swatches of the pastels I used so you can see them more clearly. This is something new I am doing for all of my Patreon demos!






 Join us on Patreon this year! We are sharing our annual paintings on the community page. $4 a month gives you access to a wonderful community of artists and so much more! www.patreon.com/karenmargulis

No comments: