Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Magen's Bay Palm

'Magen's Bay Palm' 20x10 pastel
Here is the finished palm tree painting. Check out the demo slide show below to see the tree come to life. This was painted on Uart paper 500 grit. I didn't use any underpainting for this and just began painting with soft pastels. I used an assortment of Terry Ludwig and Diane Townsend pastels. My goal was to leave the background loose and undetailed and focus more on the tree. I chose this long narrow format to showcase this tall thin palm tree.

4 comments:

PAT MEYER -- said...

I want to be there. It is too cold right now and you just took me away to a warmer place. Thanks

Karen said...

Thanks Pat, I agree I'd like to be there too!

Jo Castillo said...

Lovely painting, thanks for the slide show. I love to see how you work.

Karen said...

Thanks Jo! They are fun to do. The hard part is remembering to take the photos!