Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sunflower Field Pastel Daily Painting

'Field of Happiness' 7x5 pastel
This was fun to paint! Its from a photo I took at the Sunflower Festival here in Georgai a few summers ago. I took so many photos that day that I have a lifetime supply of sunflower field reference photos. This is painted with my Richard McKinley Great American pastels with just a few extras. I love that set! I just ordered Lorenzo Chavez's GA set and I am looking forward to playing with those!

4 comments:

Susannah said...

I love this! (not that I don't love them ALL) This painting in particular reminds me that every painting you do offers something new, and draws me in, like it's saying "Come and be part of me" I don't mean that in a crazy way lol I just mean that your work invites the person looking at it to really take pleasure in the beauty. And I do. And so every now and then I need to thank you for sharing your world in a daily email and to beg you to continue! :)

Donna T said...

Beautiful sunflowers Karen! It's so easy to get caught up in all of their details but you kept this loose and it feels fresh, not fussy. Gosh, I wish I could paint like that!

Karen said...

Susannah,
Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment and to really put into words what you feel. It really helps me! I am so happy that you enjoy my work!
Karen

Karen said...

Donna,
Thank you! It's easier not to get fussy when you only have 15 minutes to paint before the baby wakes up from his nap! The best thing for looseness!!!