Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Aspens In Fall Pastel Painting

'Aspen Glow' 8x10 pastel
I felt like doing something different today. Maybe it's the 100 variation challenge but I am feeling experimental lately! For this painting I did a turpenoid wash underpainting using orange and red soft pastels. The pastels made a thick enough layer that I already had some texture when the turp dried. I then started layering colors being very liberal with workable fixative in between layers. Sometimes I waited until the fixative dried and sometimes I painted into it while wet which was fun. I think the Uart paper could have taken even more abuse but I was finished with this one. Now I think I'll do a red tree!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful!!!!
xoxo
You're talented, lady!
:)
Lynne

Karen said...

Thank you so much Lynne!!