Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, December 21, 2009

Pastel Painting work in progress photos

I managed to take a few photos of my painting process so I thought I'd share them. In the top left you can see my cute little watercolor set. These are Schmincke half pans and the colors I chose were the ones Albert Handell was using when I took his workshop a few years ago. In the next photo you can see my reference photo which is black and white and my initial drawing in pencil on Uart paper. The bottom left is my watercolor underpainting. It still came out lighter than I wanted even after darkening some areas. I think it will be helpful just to play around with the watercolors to get a better feel for them. The next photo shows the start of the pastel application. I began with the darks in the tree mass and the sky. After that I got into my 'zone' and forgot to take pictures! I will post the finished painting next.

4 comments:

Meda said...

Karen,
Thank you very much for this peek into your art process. So you are actually doing a watercolor underpainying! I love watercolor and I love pastel, so I might give this a try one day just for fun. I am still looking for my way in art and you are one of my favorite artists. Thanks for sharing all your woderful work.

Cynthia said...

Lovely meadow and interesting to see your work in progress.
Merry Christmas and all the best to you in 2010.

Karen said...

Meda, Thank you very much! Sometimes I do a watercolor underpainting. It really works nicely with pastel. You definitely should give it a try.Thank you for following my blog!

Karen said...

Thanks Cynthia. Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you!