Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dragonfly Plein Air Painting

'Jewel of the River' 8x10 pastel
Today at the paint out I did 6 paintings and this is one of them. I first painted the vista of the river and the trees but then as usual I was drawn to the more intimate scenes in the landscape like this dragonfly in the grasses by the river. There were a lot of these very striking black and white dragonflies. They are Common White Tails but they sure don't look common to me! This one actually perched long enough for me to get a good look and paint him! I can't paint tomorrow because it is move-in day for my daughter's college dorm but I will go back Friday to paint some more.

6 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

It's your intimate scenes which always attract me to have a closer look at your wrk!

Jo Castillo said...

This is super. A slight change in palette for you. I enjoyed seeing your other photos on fb.

Karen said...

Thanks Marian. I always seem to be excited by the close-ups!

Karen said...

Thanks Jo. I appreciate your comments. I used whatever colors were in my box. That's one way of changing up your palette!

Anonymous said...

I am bidding of a couple of your small works of art. You really inspire me to have fun when painting. Love your work.

Karen said...

Thanks watercolor mom! You made my day! :)