Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, November 15, 2010

Lake Michigan Sunset SOLD

'Summer Memories' 10x20 pastel
This is a commission I am working on for a collector and we are having a bit of a dilemma. The reference photo has a pier and small lighthouse off the the left. In my 5x7 study I included this pier. We decided to make the painting long and narrow to capture the expanse of the lake and have more sky to play with the sunset/evening colors. Now we are trying to decide if we need to put in the pier. On one hand it gives it a sense of place....otherwise it could be any sunset anywhere. On the other hand....does the painting need it? I have my opinion but I am curious to hear others!

9 comments:

Takeyce Walter said...

IMHO, I think it's perfect as is. I don't necessarily think adding the dock will actually "add" anything to the painting. I think it will just detract the viewer from the beautiful sunset.

Marian Fortunati said...

I think it is pretty as it is, but if the client wants a pier, don't you think he/she should get a pier??

Karen said...

Well the client wasn't sure if she really wanted the pier so that makes it more of a challenge! I'll keep you posted on the decision.

R Matthew Songer said...

I think that to include the pier/lighthouse, the sun cannot be in the middle of the piece. Composition-wise, the placement of the sun is a little too static. Tough call, definitely want to see the finished piece.

Sara Mathewson said...

I don't think it needs the pier.
I love it the way it is!

Unknown said...

I love it exactly as it is. The dock would clutter up the feeling of peace this drawing evokes. And the sunset being in the middle never dawned on me until it was pointed out. I love Lake Michigan and get the feel of it right away. It is different than an ocean sunset.

Marilyn Russell said...

If you can place the pier so that it is not the prime attraction, it should be added. I agree that without it, it could be anywhere. The sun could be at the golden mean and the pier sort of fuzzy.

Anonymous said...

I grew up on Lake Michigan and the light-houses are very unique to the different areas of the lake. You have done a beautiful job- I now live in Minnesota and STILL miss Lake Michigan- definitely felt Lake Michigan in your painting- but due to the uniqueness of each lighthouse- I would like to see it in the painting-then you know where its from!

Karen said...

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It is funny that opinion seems to be split. In the end the client decided against adding the pier because it was the sunset that had the meaning for her. She is also getting the little study so she has both versions. I struggled with the placement of the sun. It is actually a little off center but I was afraid to move it too far over. A dilemma!