Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pastel Landscape with Texture

'California Dreams' 8x10 pastel
Not every painting is a success but one thing I love about pastel is how forgiving it is. It is so easy to rework a painting that you aren't happy with. This painting went through a few changes. It was a demo for last week's class on the Steelyard composition. The colors were dull and uninteresting so I changed them...several times. Still not happy. So I took out some acrylic matte medium and painted over the whole thing. The matte medium darkened the painting and melted the pastel but when it dried I had a stiff piece of paper with the texture of the brushstrokes. When I added more pastel, it skipped over those brushmarks making some interesting texture. What a fun way to salvage a painting!

5 comments:

Mariela said...

Great texture...
This is what I love in painting, the things that just happen!!!

hmuxo said...

Well, you certainly salvaged this painting Karen. Great effect with the acrylic matte finish. The painting has such vibrant colors..did you use Unisom pastels? I only work with pastels because, like you said its so forgiving..Again, beautiful work!

Karen said...

Thanks! It was a fun technique because you didn't know how it would turn out! I used Great American pastels for this one.

Cmichaudart said...

Great idea...makes me want to dig thru my discards right away, i love the way the brush strokes show through....gonna try it!

beckielboo said...

I was catching up at DPG when I saw this, came immediately to your Blog for further explanation - a pastel - with texture? You go girl! What a wonderful painting that came out of the "ashes"! Love it! File this technique & use it often - others will fall over themselves to learn "the NEW Margulis technique"!
Beckie