Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Steps to a Wildflower Painting



'Dancing Wildflowers' 16x20 pastel
I'd like to share some photos of my process for this painting. My inspiration for this one is actually one of my older paintings. I wanted to use the painting as my reference instead of using photos. I chose to put down a layer of hard pastels which I washed in with turpenoid. As the turpenoid dripped I turned the paper in different directions so I could get a tangle of grasses with the drips. I then added my softer pastels when this underpainting was dry. The result is a similar subject but a different look to the finished painting.

2 comments:

Jeanie LeCompte said...

This is fantastic! It looks SO painterly! Thank you for sharing the preliminary steps. Is this on sandpaper?

Marilyn Russell said...

Thanks for the process. I had no idea pastels could use underpainting. I was amazed at the pink sky. I do the same thing with my acrylics. I appreciated the photos, and the resulting painting.