Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, May 06, 2011

More from the Paint-out...Purple Irises

'Early Morning Irises' 8x10 pastel
Another long day at the Smith-Gilbert Gardens at the paint-out. It was also National Public Garden Day and they estimated over 1000 visitors to the garden today! It was a busy place! I managed to paint 4 paintings, all of them daisies. It was easier to stay in one spot with all of the visitors than trying to pack up and move around. This painting was done yesterday. I was very happy that I really let a lot of the watercolor underpainting alone. My goal is not to cover it all up with pastel but to 'dance' with the underpainting as Richard McKinley puts it. I am trying!

4 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

These beautiful flowers ARE really dancing!!! and singing too!!

magnificent!!

Sara Mathewson said...

Karen, I love all your flower paintings, but this one is extra special! Irises are one of my favorite flowers and you have really done them justice in this painting. They do dance! i love how you can control and not over do it. This is where I have problems. I need to learn to loosen up, especially with flowers but really with all my paintings! I figure if I keep seeing and studying your paintings some day I will learn!

Happy Mothers Day:)

Sara

Karen said...

Thank you Marian. I really appreciate your comments. It means a lot to me!

Karen said...

Thank you Sara. I appreciate your comments!!! I am working hard at not overdoing things. I have a tendency to cpver my underpaintings so I am happy that I didn't do that with this one!