Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, June 20, 2011

My First Self Portrait


The purpose of my blog is to share what I am painting....the good, bad and ugly! I first started the blog 6 years ago to document my progress with daily painting so if you look back in the archives you will see everything I have ever painted and you can see my struggles. One of the things I haven't tried is painting a self portrait. I don't really ever paint people so this was definitely a stretch. I thought it would be a fun topic for one of my summer pastel classes so I have been researching self portraits and today tried this quick study of myself. I took a really bad photo and printed it out to work from. It had strange overhead lighting and the photo was quite dark but it was fun....and I think I'd like to try another one. So.....I hope my students who are reading this today will be encouraged to come to class this Wednesday! I promise it will be fun. And for those of you who haven't tried a self portrait...I encourage you to try one! This is on Canson paper and I used whatever pastels were left out on my tray from my last painting.

No comments: