2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Aspen Trees

'Two Old Souls' 8x10 pastel
Aspens are my favorite trees and I really wish they would grow here in Georgia. I have to be content with taking pictures and painting them. Today’s painting is a demo I did in a class. We wanted to work on a close up landscape and we both chose these aspens for the lesson. I decided to do a value based underpainting with an alcohol wash. When I finished the demo I decided that the painting seemed too dark. I wanted to simplify and lighten it so I sprayed it with workable fixative and added more pastels allowing me to make the changes without making muddy color. I like the effect I get by painting over the fixed areas.

1 comment:

Denna Kadavy said...

Beautifull work! Love the color in this one.