|'Morning Drive' 8x10 oil on panel ©Karen Margulis SOLD|
What I Learned From the Limited Palette Challenge
- Using a limited palette is a great way to learn how to mix colors. Coming from a pastel background I was new to mixing my own colors so learning how a few colors interacted was less intimidating.
- A limited palette forces you to look at other elements besides color to achieve your vision....value, textures, composition can be considered if you can't mix the 'right' color.
- A limited palette helps you create a more harmonious painting. Every color you mix is related.
- A limited palette is manageable and easy....it is quick to set up your palette and less expensive to only have a few tubes of paint. It is also so much more portable...great for plein air!
- I never felt deprived or lacking a color. I thought I would because with pastels I have hundreds of colors available to me. I know there are some colors you just can't get with this palette but sometimes the color isn't really what's important in the painting. If it is about that particular color, then at least I've learned the limits of the palette and I can move on and introduce the color I need.