|'Heavenly Roses' 8x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis $50 auction|
I have been on Twitter for a year now and I am glad I gave in. It really doesn't take much time at all to check my Twitter feed every once in awhile and I am finding new things to tweet about all of the time. How can Twitter help your art?
- Social media is an important part of promoting yourself to your collectors and potential opportunities. Twitter is a small part of the social media pie. I will address the others in future posts...facebook,Pinterest,blogs to name a few. Twitter can be used to drive people to your other sites.
- Twitter is quick and easy to use. You don't really have to be a techie to follow others and to send your own tweets. I came across this great introduction to Twitter for Artists on this Squidoo Lens.
- Twitter doesn't have to take up a lot of your time. I have my social media feeds all together in Hootesuite and check in when I take a painting break. What I LOVE about reading my Twitter feed is that I always find an interesting art related tidbit that has been shared (tweeted) by others who have more time to uncover these goodies!
- There are many ways to use Twitter to benefit your art career. Here is a great post from Mashable.com that lists 10 ways artists can use Twitter. Here are a few ways to get you started: Share your work or work in progress, connect with other artists and collectors to find out what they are up to, make announcements about your art events and news. I also like to follow other social media experts so I can be informed on how to best use social media to help my art.
- You can use Twitter to keep up with your other non art-related interests. Follow your favorite celebrities and companies for example.
I invite you to Follow me on Twitter. I will be sharing the latest helpful information for artists and I'd love to share them with you! Follow me @karenmargulis