Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Chicago Night Painting. ...The Drake Hotel

'At The Drake'          12x16     pastel     ©Karen Margulis
This was a timely commission. I was asked to paint the Drake Hotel in Chicago and it really helped get me even more excited to head to Chicago this week. My son Corey is getting married next Saturday in Chicago and we couldn't be happier for him and his fiance Grace.  Corey met Grace at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago where they were both students.  They are a perfect match and I have enjoyed watching them plan their wedding and Honeymoon to Maine. It is going to be an exciting weekend!

I do have posts planned for the week but I will be taking a break from the easel. I will have my new camera though and hope not only to get some good wedding photos but also some great Chicago shots. I enjoy painting the city especially in the evening. I love the lights and glow in the early evening sky.

Approaching a citiscape can be intimidating and it used to be something I was afraid to tackle until I realized that buildings are simply shapes.  My goal is to paint an impression of the city and the buildings. I don't intend for them to be architectural renderings. So all I do is look at the big shapes and decide how light or dark they are. Then I add hints of detail....but they are all just shapes!  I did an alcohol wash underpainting first to block in the big shapes. This gave me a head start and made the painting even less intimidating.

Here are a few more of my Chicago paintings. You can read more about them HERE  They have been sold but prints are available through Fine Art America.





No comments: