Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Painting the Weather...Pastel on Black Paper

'After the Storm'       8x10        pastel     ©Karen Margulis
available for purchase at Daily Paintworks $95 
Sometimes I am compelled to paint something that I didn't plan.  Circumstances intervene and inspiration strikes.  I had intended to paint another cat today with a more involved background but as I listened to the radio with the storm reports from Sandy I went in another direction.

We didn't experience the storm here in Georgia although it has been very windy and cold here the last couple of days. It is the wind and the storm that inspired today's painting. I wanted to paint something that captures the feeling of a windy day....the clearing of a storm with promise of a new day.

It was with a sense of urgency that I searched for that last piece of black sandpaper that I had been saving.  I knew the black smooth surface would work for the mood I wanted to create.  This painting is from my imagination and is more an emotional response to the weather rather than a depiction of an actual place.

I'll get to the cat painting but sometimes there is a painting in you that you just have to get out. It may not even turn out well but it is the process of creating that is important. Don't ignore that voice in your head that tells you what to paint. It is this voice that helps you put your emotions into a painting. It is no longer just a painting exercise. You are painting from your heart.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your passion for art on-line. Your blog is something I look forward to. Your tutorials are exceptional. They are descriptive and insightful. You illustrate your ideas perfectly.

Jennifer Edwards said...

Gorgeous Karen! So lovely. I know what you mean about having to get a painting out of your head and onto paper. And I too often hear that voice giving me my " marching orders". So glad you did this one!!

Karen said...

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate hearing what you have to say and I am glad to know you enjoy the blog!

Adriana Guidi said...

Cool Karen!-I always look forward to your new paintings! I keep forgetting I have black paper..nice to see how it looks with pastel!

Karin Goeppert and Kenneth Burns said...

I really like the painting and I was also thinking immediately: somewhere I have this black La Carte.

Your blog is a joy and inspirational.