Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, December 07, 2012

Using Plein Air Study for a Studio Painting

'Early Morning Meeting'      5x7        gouache      ©Karen Margulis  $50 purchase here
I am starting to think about my art goals for the New Year and more plein air painting will be a big one!     I had such a great time painting on Pawleys Island that I know I need to make more time in my schedule to paint outside more often.

Today's painting is another small gouache I did this week.  I was inspired by two of the plein air studies I did on Pawleys. I used my oil painting for the composition idea but I wanted to capture the early morning pink colors that I saw in the little plein air pastel (below)

This was a good exercise in using my studies for studio work.  Now I can take all of these studies and use them for a much larger pastel painting.  I love the arrangement of the egrets who gathered across the creek every morning. And while I like the warm colors of this area later in the day, I prefer the soft pinks of very early morning.

'Creek Study Early Morning'      5x7     pastel
I am still under the weather.  It must have been the flu!  I have no energy at all! I hope to get some energy back soon so I can return to painting and regular posting!

No comments: