2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Painting the Greens of the Southeast

'Down by the Marsh'        11x14        pastel      ©Karen Margulis
click here to purchase $145

'Down in the Meadow'         11x14          pastel
click here to purchase $145

Today I tackled the box of Albert Handell's landscape pastel set by Unison.  I am devoting this week to organizing the sets of pastels I purchased from an artist who was downsizing.  It was not an easy task to break up this beautiful set of pastels.




But if I was going to use them it needed to be done. I found a cigar box and lined it with foam. Then I  removed the wrappers and broke each pastel in half.  I just snapped them in half but if you want to be more precise you can score them with a blade first.  An hour later I was ready to paint!



I was excited to get this set for a couple of reasons. I had attended one of Albert's workshops 6 years ago as a beginner and lusted over his set then but chose to get a Heilman box instead. (I believe at the time the set was Schminke)  I also knew that this set would be perfect for our VERY  GREEN Southeastern landscape.

I took out my notes from the workshop. I use a new notebook for every workshop and keep them all together on a shelf.  I had written down several of Albert's pearls of wisdom and this set of pastels will really be helpful for painting the greens. Here are a couple of 'pearls'

  •  The trick to greens is balancing them with Mauves (purples)
  • Modify your greens with mauves
  • If you want to soften a green and make it go away....then use a mauve.
  • "Whenever I think Green...I think Mauve"
See a pattern here?  If you have a look at the set you can see there is a great selection of greens and purples. I had just the paintings to try out the green/mauve idea.  They were unfinished demos of Southeastern Landscapes. Both were very green.  They needed more mauve! I enjoyed working with this set although the Unisons are a bit harder than I usually like.  I will work with them some more and will do a more thorough review.
Here is a link to Albert Handell's website with information about purchasing this set 

6 comments:

Beena said...

It really is VERY green here in the southeast. I was trying to qualify that once to someone who lives in a very brown arid area of California, and they didn't believe me when I described spring in Florida. @@

Loving your southeast paintings from this post an the previous one. :)

Christina Aiton said...

I am a watercolor painter who began to paint with pastels this year so your information about new pastels is very valuable to my learning process. Thanks for such a great blog and now I know to balance my greens with mauves!

pattisjarrett said...

That's good to know about green and mauve.
A new box of pastels is more appealing than a box of chocolates. :)

Karen said...

Thanks Beena! I know it is hard to imagine all of our green when you live in an arid part of the country. Actually I love painting arid though!

Karen said...

Thank you Christina~ So glad you found my blog!

Karen said...

I agree Patti....give me pastels any day!