|'Awaiting Spring' 8x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
click here to purchase $125
Doing a black and white thumbnail sketch will help me break down this busy scene into big simple shapes. Then I will add as much detail as I want.
|My thumbnail next to the 4 color/value block in.|
- After the block-in I rub it all in to get a nice soft even coverage. I take out the reference photo and put the thumbnail away.
- I start this next layer of pastel by reinforcing the dark areas. I put in some tree trunks knowing I will cover some with foliage.
- Next I put in the lightest lights....the sky. I also add some cool gray greens for distant trees.
- Now It is just a matter of choosing the right greens and gradually and very lightly build layer them over the trees and grassy area. I choose lighter and cooler for the distant greens.
- The last thing I do is add a light veil of pink for the redbud blooms. I also add a few bolder marks of pink and green for my punctuation marks.