Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

J is for The Journey of Being an Artist

'The Sky's the Limit' 5x7 pastel ©Karen Margulis
sold
I was lucky. When I started painting I not only had great teachers, I also got wonderful advice. I was told that in order to become a better painter I would need to work hard and paint often...and I did. I still do because there is still so much to learn. I recently came across this excellent bit of advice by Ira Glass. It is such an uplifting and motivational thought for artists at any stage in their career. I hope it inspires you too.

Quote by Ira Glass

We all go through ups and downs on our art journey but it helps to know that we all struggle at some point. I try to remind myself that I shouldn't be discouraged when my paintings don't quite match my vision. I just need to keep on painting. In today's post I am sharing two quick paintings that I did this past week. The top painting is a quick pastel marsh study and the little one below is a mixed media aceo, an experimental piece I did just for fun. These are the kinds of small quick studies I like to do in between larger paintings. Doing these small quick paintings all count towards the work I need to do to help my work be as good as my ambitions!

'Believe in Yourself' 3.5 x 2.5 mixed media watercolor ink pastel
sold
Isn't it encouraging to know that we can become better artists as long as we keep working at it? In the coming weeks I will be posting some ideas on how to get in the painting time you need. I hope that you will be motivated and inspired to paint more often!
Read more about the best art advice I ever got HERE
I invite you to sign up for email updates so you don't miss a post! (sign up on sidebar)

6 comments:

Sylvia Ney said...

Very nice! New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

suecrain said...

Thanks this is just what I needed to hear today – last nights painting was laughable, but today I'll paint some more.

angela j simpson said...

Great advice - thank you! I am in that place. Just bought Pastel Pointers after reading one of your older blog posts and am inspired to do more and push my pastel experiments. I love pastels, but have not used many experimental techniques. Can't wait to get going and maybe I'll post my challenge aswell!

Diane Mannion said...

Thank you for all the information you share, Karen. You're a wonderful teacher and artist and I look forward to reading your blog each time you post. You're an inspiration!

Unknown said...

You are so talented!! I love your paintings! I can't wait to see more.
Peanut Butter and Whine

Unknown said...

Your paintings are beautiful! And this was a great post, very encouraging and inspiring for any artist/writer/or creator of any kind.

Have fun with a-z.