Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Q is for Quiet in a Painting

'A Quiet Moment'           9x12           pastel        ©Karen Margulis
click here to purchase $145

I like to paint the quiet beauty that surrounds us.  

I wrote that for my artist statement several years ago and it is still very much the truth. Whether it is a patch of roadside wildflowers or a view across a marsh I am drawn to those often overlooked spots that are filled with beauty.  They give me with a sense of peace and quiet.  My mind can be racing with a to do list a mile long....but when I step up to the easel and paint my TRUTH I am at peace. Everything else can wait.

Block in for today's painting
I think I have finally figured out what my Truth is.... that is... what subjects call out to me to be painted....what makes my heart beat faster.  I used to think it was painting wildflowers.  And yes I am drawn to wildflowers but it is more than that.  I love painting nature up close and personal but I am equally drawn to wide open spaces...marshes, oceans,deserts and prairies.  They seem opposite but now I realize why I love them both.  It is the quiet that both subjects embody.

My goal is to capture this feeling of peace and quiet in my paintings. Yes sometimes I like to be bold and colorful for a change of pace but I always seem to return to my truth.

What is your truth? What subjects speak to you the loudest?  I'd love to hear from you. 

No comments: