|'Drama in the Sky' 8x10 pastel on board ©Karen Margulis $125 click here|
I am fortunate that I am now a full time artist but if I intend for it to be my job then I have to be disciplined with both painting and the business part of art. So I treat my time in the studio as if it were a job (though one that I LOVE) I am very much a homebody so long days in my studio don't bother me at all. Here is a typical day for me.
- I'm up by 7:00 and head down to the studio with my coffee to do my online chores. I answer email, check on my Daily Painting galleries to make sure my posts were pulled overnight. I check in on my Etsy shop and see what's happening on Facebook.
- If I have anything to ship I package and print labels. My sister and I also have an ebay store (we are the Recycle Sisters) so I will tend to ebay shipping as well as painting sales.
- Time for breakfast and shower. I may do laundry or household chores but usually I am anxious to get back into the studio. I spend the rest of the morning working on lesson plans, preparing for classes, organizing supplies or any other misc business things. Sometimes I start my blog post.
- Upstairs for lunch.
- Back down to the studio to paint. When I am teaching I usually work on paintings that represent the class topic of the week. I may work on a commission if I have any. Sometimes though I just throw out all of the discipline and paint whatever I feel like. For example last week I got the urge to try the Golden Open Acrylics. I try to respond to Creative urges whenever I can.
- Early afternoon it is time to write my blog post if I haven't already done so. I try to get it posted by 4:30.
- Late afternoon into early evening I am still in the studio. I may paint more or tend to marketing or business stuff. My husband works late so there is never any rush to get dinner or clean up. I am never lacking for something to do in my studio!
This is a typical day. The days that I teach I try to just work around my class times. My classes drive what I work on and what I choose to paint and when I am not teaching I give myself assignments to work on. I work errands into my day when I need to but I am happiest when I am home (or rummaging in thrift stores with my sister)
|'Magic in the Air' 8x10 pastel on board $125 click here|
Next week we are working on sunsets and dramatic skies so that's what I painted today!