Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sedona Wetlands and Climbing Red Rocks


'Desert Oasis'. 5x7. Pastel
We have to say goodbye to Sedona and make our way back home to Georgia. But we made it a great day. Holly and I started the day by hiking t o the top of the Airport Vortex. Well she went to the top. I stopped a bit shy. I'll blame it on on my shoes but I am not a big fan of sheer cliffs an steep drop offs.
Next we went to a wonderful little spot in Sedona recommended by the lady in the bird store. It is called the Sedona Wetlands and is a series of ponds created from reclaimed waste water . It is still a work in progress but it is a beautiful spot of green and blue among all of the red rocks. I did three daily paintings based on the Sedona Wetlands.

'Wetland Trails'. 5x7. Pastel

'Summer Sunshine'. 5x7. Pastel

I admit that I didn't paint these on location. It was getting very hot and there was no shade. Instead I came back to the cottage and sat on the patio to paint. I looked at my camera display. It really isn't a bad way to simplify a painting because you sure can't see much detail on a camera display!

Here are some photos of the wetlands. I was happy to spot three Black Crowned Night Herons!

And lots of happy little sunflowers.

 

1 comment:

Donna T said...

It has been great following your adventure, Karen. You have some beautiful work to show for it and inspiration to last a long time!