2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Friday, June 28, 2013

What Daily Road Trip Paintings Did for Me

'A Beautiful Journey'          8x10          pastel       ©Karen Margulis
purchase painting in my Etsy shop $145 HERE
 On the road for 24 days and 23 road trip paintings done. The trip was a great experience that was only enhanced by taking the time to do a daily painting.  I will be writing all about what made it easy and fun to do but today I wanted to share my thoughts on how doing these painting have helped inspire me.

This morning I took the time to photograph each painting. I put them on a large piece of  foam core so that I could see them all in the order that I painted them. I was interested in seeing how they changed from day one to day 23. I discovered that something happened mid way through the trip.  I began to get bolder and more colorful in my approach. Look at the first and last road trip paintings below.


'Distant Mountain Blues'    5x7   plein air pastel #1
'Sedona Wetlands Path'      5x7      plein air pastel #23


The painting at the top of the page was done today in the studio from one of my photos taken as we approached Albuquerque. We had stopped at a rest area and I painted my first road trip painting at the picnic shelter (see above)  I thought that it would be fun to paint my first studio painting after the trip from the same place as my first road trip painting.  I discovered that I saw the place with different eyes.

  • After a month in the Southwest I was more relaxed.
  • I saw more color
  • I felt more confidence in painting what I saw
  • I understood the landscape better. We were no longer strangers.
  • I felt more freedom to interpret what I saw and interject my emotions into the scene.
I believe that painting this landscape everyday helped me understand it better. I was constantly looking and thinking about how I would paint it but actually doing it and choosing colors really helped to reinforce what I was thinking. Taking 20-30 minutes each day to paint helped me utilize all of my senses. By the end of the month I had totally immersed myself in this beautiful landscape and felt the freedom to paint it as I saw it.

Now that I am back in the studio I can't wait to see what else develops!

2 comments:

Mary Pyche said...

Thanks so much I really appreciate what you are saying in your blog. It is very motivating and I'm passing them on to other painters.

Karen said...

Thank you Mary! I appreciate it very much!