|'Walking Barefoot' 6x8 pastel Terry Ludwig pastels on Wallis paper ©Karen Margulis|
purchase painting on Etsy $100
I have fallen in love all over again with my Terry Ludwig pastels. They have always made up the majority of my pastel collection but lately I have been using them exclusively. I am often asked by my students about choosing pastels and I always try to suggest that they invest in the best quality that they can afford. Many artists new to the medium don't like to spend too much money until they know if they like pastels or until they are good enough. That's another topic but let me just say:
You deserve some Terry Ludwig Pastels!
Here are 10 reasons why you should try them (in no particular order)
- The colors. Over 500 beautiful luscious vibrant colors. Some not available in other pastel lines. From beautiful lights to the richest darkest darks and everything in between. You can beat these colors.
- The Feel. They are soft. They are velvety. But not oily feeling. They don't explode or crumble. They are just the perfect amount of softness.
- The shape. They are square. And a perfect size. It is a generous size pastel that fits my hand perfectly not too big and not stingy. The square size doesn't roll of your table.
- The flexibility. The shape and size allows for you to make wide chunky strokes or fine lines. Use the edges for detail. The tip for smaller marks. perfect.
- The man behind the pastel....Terry Ludwig is just a great guy! His entire family and staff are wonderful. Dealing with Terry is a joy.
- The consistency. They are consistently great. I have been using them for 8 years and every pastel I get has been reliably soft and consistent. I can always rely on a great product.
- The Box. What can I say. I love a good box and Terry's simple black box is the perfect design for the pastels. The boxes look good and protect the pastels well. And even though I take most of my pastels out of the box...I save every TL pastel box!
- Great for travel. The square size allows me to pack more pastels in my travel boxes. Of course I have been stopped may a time by TSA for my box of 'ammunition'
- Everyone loves them. I don't think I have ever met an artist who doesn't like using Terr Ludwig pastels. That is reason enough to give them a try!
- A great value. Even when they aren't on sale they are worth the price. My TL's last me a long time. They are well worth the money for all of the above reasons!
Convinced yet? If you haven't tried them or just want more then check out Terry's MYSTERY BOX SALE. It ends on July 27th so order right now! Get a box of 14 assorted pastels for just $30