|'Garden Respite' 10x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
click here to purchase
I know I have written about rescuing a failed painting before but I believe it bears repeating. If you have a lemon on your hands.....
Late me share my latest attempt at saving a piece of paper.
Here I have a nice piece of Uart sanded paper. I had used it for my You Tube video on Mark Making.
I didn't need the demo paper anymore and was about to trash it when I stopped. I love this paper and I know it takes abuse so why not do something creative with it.
Out came the rubbing alcohol and my stiff well worn bristle brush. I cut the paper into a square and washed in the pastel marks with the alcohol. See the results below.
Look at all those yummy drips! I even like this as an abstract. In fact I almost left it alone. Hmmmm now that gives me an idea! Let me write that down before I forget.
But instead I looked at it to see what it might become. I saw it as the perfect backdrop for some wildflowers. I took out my wildflower photos and settled on one of Purple Coneflowers from my favorite garden...Lurie Gardens at the Art Institute of Chicago. I turned the paper upside down and took out my pastels.
I worked hard at not covering up all the green and approached it incrementally as suggested by Richard McKinley. See Richard's timely post on underpaintings here.
Next time you have a mess....make lemonade!
|close up detail|