Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, January 13, 2014

Planning a Painting Series with Studies

'The Pier'         2.5 x 3.5         pastel            ©Karen Margulis
sold
Class start tomorrow. I can't wait. I am excited about this session of pastel classes because we will all be working on a series. We will all choose a subject or theme and each week's painting will be based on our theme.  There is a lot to learn from working in a series and I will share some of them on the blog this week.

How do you choose a theme or subject?  I will encourage my students to choose something they are passionate about. It may take some thought and soul searching but it will be worth it. One of the ways I choose subjects for a potential series is by looking through the plein air studies I do on a trip.  I love painting small studies.....especially the quick 2.5x3.5 studies.  These often best capture how I feel about a place. They make excellent inspiration for a series of larger paintings.

'Sunrise'            2.5 x 3.5          pastel 
The three mini pastels in this post were all painted on my recent trip to Florida. They are all from a morning walk on Deerfield Beach. These studies along with the photos I took will make a great series of paintings. They will all have the common thread of 'a morning at the beach'.

'Shorebird'            2.5 x 3.5          pastel 
What are you passionate about?  What subject would you like to explore with a series of paintings?  Why not create some small studies to firm up your ideas!


Special Offer!
I am listing the paintings in my Etsy shop and as a special offer, if you purchase a painting for $15 you will also be entered into a drawing to win an enlargement of your mini painting. If you win,  I will paint your mini up to 11x14 size. So be sure to check them  out. Your chance of winning is very good! Winner will be selected on January 31, 2014.
All of the paintings can be seen in my Etsy shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/KarenMargulisFineArt?section_id=10874425

No comments: