Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, April 13, 2014

How to Paint a Mini Pastel ...new pastel demo

'Across the River II'          2.5 x 3.5       pastel        ©Karen Margulis    
sold
 It is the most satisfying way to paint. Instant gratification.  Using scraps of paper, a few pastels and sitting down at a table I can finish a painting in a very limited time.  Painting minis allow me to play with color and composition without the worry of wasting a bigger piece of paper.They are not always successful but it is so easy to put the bad ones aside and keep on painting.


'Across the River'            2.5 x 3.5        pastel         ©Karen Margulis
sold
I have a method that I follow when painting these minis. I don't use pastel pencils or even hard pastels. I don't use tiny pieces to get the small details. I use regular soft pastels. Practice helps!  I have been asked to share my technique and tips for minis so I thought it would make a good addition to my PDF Demo collection.  This demo download is now available in my Etsy shop for $5 or as a free bonus with the purchase of one of my mini originals also in my Etsy shop. Click here to see all available minis

My step by step demo on painting very small

Displaying a mini pastel

'Through the Sunflower Meadow'      2.5x3.5      pastel    $15

A sample page of the demo

Did you recognize the painting at the top of the page? This was the mini that inspired my larger 18x24 version that I posted last week!

2 comments:

Sandi Graham Pastels said...

Hi Karen , I am now doing pastel minis and if ii is successful I mat in 10x10 frames. I started this after reading your blog a few months ago.
With these minis I do an underpainting to test colors and composition . If I really love the piece I will make a large version. I like that it forces me to be less detailed .Thanks . Love your work and blog and have learned a lot .I have passed this blog to others to .Sandi.

Susan McManamen said...

Hi Karen, I own two of your pastel minis. I adore both of them. They are extremely affordable and extremely lovely. If you don't own one of her minis already you are missing out on an amazing opportunity to own a beautiful piece of art. Just sayin' :)