Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, May 16, 2014

Reflections on Winning an Award


'The Winter Walk'            6x6          pastel          ©Karen Margulis
sold
 Winter Storms have a silver lining.  I was stranded in two winter storms this year but they have inspired many paintings. One of them just took Second Place in the Southeastern Pastel Society's 16th International Show. I am still on cloud 9. It is an honor enough just to have a painting accepted into a show. To win an award is an unexpected but welcome bonus! (see the winning painting below)
It is wonderful to be included in this exhibition and to have our judge Liz Haywood-Sullivan recognize my painting and giving it such a place of honor is such a great feeling. I am grateful.

'North Garden in Winter'        8x10       pastel    Sold
So where do I go from here? Back to the easel of course but what lessons can I take from this experience? Liz did a walk through of the exhibit so I will share some of her insights in tomorrow's post.  But I am now reflecting on what inspired me to paint this winter scene and what it tells me.

It occurs to me that I was very moved by the beauty of the snow and winter despite the bitter cold. And oddly it was the figures in the snow that captivated me the most. I say this because I don't usually feel drawn to putting people in my paintings. But I was fascinated by the movement of people in the snow.  I painted a series of these winter scenes with figures and most of them have sold. So I learned that others enjoyed them as well. Perhaps my passion came through.

That is what it is all about. Finding a subject that speaks to you....something that you just can't wait to paint. I painted these winter scenes with joy and it is so wonderful to know that the paintings speak to others.  I'll have to see where this leads me.

'City Sidewalks II'        6x6           $45

'Treasures of the Marsh'  is my other painting in the exhibition
I have chosen to reinvest my award money in my art education by taking a mentoring workshop with Richard McKinley in Abiquiu New Mexico this Fall. I had been on the waiting list but learned I got in this week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done Karen.....and i'm green with envy - i think of Richard McKinley as my guru....he's awesome, and what a great way to spend your prize money! thanks for sharing !

Rodrica Tilley said...

Congratulations! It's a winner.

jytte said...

Congratulations. All your paintings are very nice. I bought Liz Haywood-Sullivan's book Skies and Water and read it with much pleasure. I have started to do underpainting on Canson Mi-teints as you cannot buy Uart or Wallis in Europa.