Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, August 10, 2014

How to Store and Display Mini Pastel Paintings


'Summer Trees'        2.5 x 3.5       pastel       ©Karen Margulis
bid on painting $12 opening bid click here
I admit it. I am a paintaholic. I paint for the sake of creating. I am compelled to take up my pastels everyday and paint something. Once they are finished I am ready to move on to the next one. It is the process of creating that interests me not the final product. Having a good painting is certainly the ultimate goal but the fun is in the journey to get there.  Every once in awhile I become attached to a particular painting but for the most part I am happy to share them with others or hide them away in boxes. 
I am uncovering many such hidden paintings in my studio clean up this week.  Some of them deserve to see the light of day. Take these mini original pastels for example. I painted them while on my  spur of the moment cruise in June. It was a busy month (Iceland) for me so I didn't get the chance to share them and they were buried in a pile of foam core .  I love painting these miniature pastels. They force me to simplify and I learn so much from doing them. They are also very relaxing to paint which is why I like to paint them while on vacation!  I encourage you to try to paint a few minis!


The official rule for these minis often called ATC (Artist Trading Cards) or ACEO's (Art Cards Editions and Originals) is that they measure 2.5x3.5 inches. That's it. They are actually quite easy to store and display. It is a great way to add a touch of original art to your space. And they make wonderful gifts.

Last year I made a You Tube video on storing and displaying these mini pastels so I thought it would be a good time to share it again!  Enjoy the video and paint some minis today!

                            








 


All paintings in this post were done on my cruise. They are aceo/atc size 2.5x3.5 originals. They are all on auction on Ebay with a starting bid of $12. You can  Bid on them here. Good Luck!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i didn't know one could create ATC Using soft pastels! Thanks a lot for sharing! I really like your creations!
Claudia

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I love all of these. There is a freshness that makes them perfect.
Thanks for including the video. Very interesting and really worth watching.

Calipage said...

Can you please share the specific clear bag item number for the different size paintings you use? I went to clearbags.com and was overwhelmed by how many options there are with minute variations. It's hard to figure out what size will fit with foam board and a painting inside. I'd probably order ten different ones and not get the correct ones. Please help. I thought no this idea is fantastic and I'd like to put it to use. Thanks!