Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Ghost Ranch ... Painting Pedernal and Interesting Skies

'Take Me to Pedernal'. 5x7. Pastel

We woke up to cloudy skies. I really didn't mind. I love the blue skies of New Mexico but I love interesting skies even more. The clouds put on an ever changing display today. I was torn. Should I paint the land or the sky? I decided to do both. I can't get enough of this landscape so my mindset is to take as many notes as I can. My little field studies are my notes.

We began day 2 of the workshop at Ghost Ranch. We met on the upper Mesa and got right to work. Richard made the rounds several times always with good advice. I chose to paint Pedernal the flat top mountain so loved by Georgia O'Keeffe.

After lunch we had an extended critique session of our work we had done so far. It was wonderful to see how we all interpreted the landscape in such different ways. What a great group of artists. Of course I learn so much from group critiques and always appreciate Richard's pearls of wisdom.

In the afternoon we moved locations and Richard began the session with a wonderful oil demo. I do need to take mine out and practice! I got some great oil tips and also had time in the afternoon to do a few studies. This time I enjoyed painting the sky.

'Parting View'. 8x10

The week is flying by! Tomorrow is another full day with two more painting locations! Stay tuned!

 

1 comment:

robertsloan2art said...

Going great! Love the sky, that's so incredible. I keep looking at skies that go strange like that wondering how I'd paint them.