Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Painting with the Chickens...Casa Gallina

'Perfection'. 5x7. Plein air pastel. Karen Margulis
There are not enough superlatives to describe this place. Perfection comes close. The IAPS convention was amazing and the second part of our adventure continues. We arrived at our home base in Taos New Mexico yesterday. It is perfection. Words can't describe Casa Gallina, an Artisan Inn so I made a quick video tour.
One of the things we love about Casa Gallina are the chickens. The girls didn't disappoint and we had a delicious breakfast of eggs and toast. I was more than ready to get out in the yard to paint. The weather was perfect.
 

I found a great spot on a bench looking out at the mountains. There is still some snow on the highest peaks.

This is my block in. I used a dark blue Nupastel for the darks and some Terry Ludwigs for the sky and mountains. I kept it loose. It is a field study.

I loved this spot. I painted three more 5x7 studies before moving on. The sky became quite dramatic just after lunch. I'll share the cloud paintings tomorrow.

'The Perfect Spot'. 5x7. Pastel

https://www.etsy.com/listing/236436765/plein-air-original-pastel-painting-taos

 

1 comment:

robertsloan2art said...

This is so wonderful! I love the way the distant mountain gleams in the first one, it's a natural focal area and so gorgeous! Definitely perfection! Looking forward to your skies!