Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, December 03, 2015

Adding a Metallic Touch...with Henri Roche Pastels



'A Touch of Silver'       2.5 x 3.5      pastel        ©Karen Margulis
available for purchase $35
I didn't want to try them. I had amazing self control. Even when in Paris at La Maison du Pastel with Isabelle Roche behind the counter I was able to resist. This while my friends all made pastel purchases. But I stood firm. I knew I would love them but I didn't want to have an expensive new love. So I have resisted the urge to try these expensive pastels. Until now.

In the barrage of Black Friday deal emails was one from Fineartstore.com and they were offering a 3 piece set of Henri Roche metallics....a silver, copper and gold. I couldn't resist. Metallic pastels are best used as accents and spices so I figured a little will go a long way. So I ordered them.

Set of 3 Metallic pastels from Henri Roche Pastels
The set arrived today and I was anxious to give them a try.  I couldn't wait to take one out of the box and make a mark. It was delightful. Soft and rich and smooth yet not at all crumbly. I decided to put them to work on some minis. (I'm afraid to use them up too fast!)

I haven't used them long enough to give a thorough review. I will do that here soon but in the meantime you might like to read a comprehensive review of the metallics on Robert Sloan's blog here 

Adding a touch of silver
I used the metallic pastels as I would normally use a spice or accent color....at the end of a painting. They were the final marks. The metallics added a very subtle sparkle. In fact it is difficult to see the sparkle in the photos but in the right light they ad the perfect note of class to my little paintings. It reminds me of the metallic sheen on the wings of some butterflies....subtle but beautiful when it catches the light.

'Summer Forest'     3.5 x 2.5   pastel     $35


'Copper and Gold'        2.5 x 3.5     pastel      ©Karen Margulis   $35

I used the copper and gold pastels in this Autumn scene. Click to enlarge and see the sparkle in detail.

Gold and Copper are needed here!

 I have used other metallic pastels in my work. I have Diane Townsend, Great American and Sennelier metallic pastels. I tend to put the boxes on the shelf and forget to use them which is a shame. They make wonderful spices. My mind is spinning now so I am sure I will be dusting them off and finding more uses for metallics!



3 comments:

robertsloan2art said...

Wow! These are so incredible! I love how you used the metallics and whoever buys these pieces is in for a treat, because I know how lovely they are in person. They are spectacular!

Thanks for linking to my review. I've packed mine away for now because they are precious and I don't want them handled by the home carer that's coming to help me prep for fumigation. But you've just stoked me for using them again when I get home to Arkansas and have my new studio. They are the perfect texture for last details and final spice. The mini especially is so breathtakingly beautiful.

But so are the silver birches.

That sparkle in person is just spectacular.

If you want metallic in an underpainting with something cool over it and sparkle just coming up in places it's left bare, or to put metallic under metallic, the new Pan Pastels metallics and pearlescents would work great with these. There's a set of six Pearlescent colors that are one step darker tints than the respective Tints of their pigments and have a subtle sparkle to them, basically using Pearlescent White Fine medium mixed with six colors. Those are very useful for a sparkle in a color area that's not silver, gold or copper. I can so see using the Pearlescent Blue as an underpainting with Copper Roche' drifting across it!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

LOVE the metallic!

Silvia Flores said...

Thanks Karen for your good tips.I happened to be in Madrid visiting and discovered a new art shop and i bought those kind of sparkles which had lovely shades like green and blue and great for showing how you use them.Mine are Sennelier and very happy with that brand.
In the future i want to buy Unison knowing them by your painting.Thanks Karen for sharing your ideas in your blog.Silvia