|'River's Edge' 9x12 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
So today I took out a notebook and started brainstorming. What did I want to accomplish in 2016? What art habits did I want to have? Do I have any bad habits that I would like to change? I wrote down all of my thoughts and ideas and wishes. I ended up with a lot of things I wanted to do but the list quickly became overwhelming.....defeating the purpose!
I decided to whittle the list down to just 6 habits to work on in 2016....one each month with hopes that they become a part of my daily routine. Here is my list of 6 habits:
- Work on becoming fluent with oils. I will be expanding on this but I am devoting the month of January to doing a daily oil painting as part of Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge. I have been wanting to play more with oils. It is important not only to challenge myself but to make me a better pastellist. I am excited to get started.
- Make sketching a habit. I don't know how many times I've started keeping a sketchbook only to stop within days! I know that being able to draw is important to becoming the best artist possible so I want to make sketching a habit!
- Make time to MOVE, be more active and eat better. All of these things are important and I could do a better job with all of them.
- Be more organized with paperwork. I hate paperwork. Every year I plan to do a better job with my record keeping and organizing of paperwork. Will I succeed this year?
- Make time for more plein air painting. This is something I love to do but only seem to make time for it when I travel. I would love to have a better plein air habit at home.
- Become more familiar with watercolor so that I can do more interesting underpaintings.
|step 3 of today's painting|