Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Palm Tree Studies ... Focused Practice with Watercolors


It started with one painting. But I couldn't stop at one. I was trying to find a way to simplify palm trees. I wanted palm tree impressions....painterly palms ...not fireworks on a stick!  Once I started with the watercolors my imagination took over. 


I tried to see how many ways I could paint the palms using the same steps. Palm tree variations beginning with a wet wash for the sky then drop in greens for the palm fronds and finally adding the trunks. Simple but effective and fun!


I enjoyed the watercolors so much that I didn't bother to take out my pastels. There is a reason for my focused watercolor practice. I'm not sure what it is but I won't fight it. I am sure it will make sense as my journey continues to unfold. 






No comments: