2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Palm Tree Studies ... Focused Practice with Watercolors


It started with one painting. But I couldn't stop at one. I was trying to find a way to simplify palm trees. I wanted palm tree impressions....painterly palms ...not fireworks on a stick!  Once I started with the watercolors my imagination took over. 


I tried to see how many ways I could paint the palms using the same steps. Palm tree variations beginning with a wet wash for the sky then drop in greens for the palm fronds and finally adding the trunks. Simple but effective and fun!


I enjoyed the watercolors so much that I didn't bother to take out my pastels. There is a reason for my focused watercolor practice. I'm not sure what it is but I won't fight it. I am sure it will make sense as my journey continues to unfold. 






No comments: