Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, June 17, 2016

Painting the Trees of Iceland

'Forest Interlude'            8x10        pastel          ©Karen Margulis
available $150
I am back home from a wonderful adventure immersed in Iceland and Art. I have so much to share and can't wait to get caught up with unpacking so I can get back to regular painting and blogging. The time change and very busy days prevented me from regular posting while I was in Iceland but I have a backlog of paintings and stories that are waiting to be seen and told so please stay tuned!

A little information about the painting in today's post.... One of the many things we did on the rainy and windy days was watch art dvds. Elinros has an extensive dvd and art book library and I was in heaven. One day we watched Albert Handell's dvd on painting a tree. We then tried to paint trees after the demo using a watercolor underpainting. I just so happened to have taken some tree photos the day before when we were painting in one of Iceland's few forests. This little area of trees is only about 30 years old. Iceland has been known for the lack of trees but trees are now beginning to cover some areas of the landscape. It will be interesting to see how the landscape and views will change in these areas now filled with young trees.

the watercolor underpainting on white pastel premier paper

3 comments:

Richard Keller said...

Awesome

jytte said...

dear Karen,

I visited Iceland in 1979 and there were no trees at all. They spoke about the forest programme at the time and I am pleased the they actuelly succeeded.

robertsloan2art said...

Beautiful! You have a lovely way with trees and always capture something special in Iceland. It has its own feel!