|'Fall Discovery' 8x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
The surface was a piece of Pastelbord from Ampersand. It was an old and very bad painting but the board deserved a new life. For this remake I wanted to try some heavy texture. I knew the pastelbord would be able to take any abuse. I found a container of acrylic ground for pastels by Golden and with a cheap brush I applied the ground right over the painting. The ground liquified the pastel turning it a lovely shade of brown (not). It was a very rough surface!
|The first pass with the large Unison pastels|
I knew I didn't want to waste my softer pastels on this experiment so I searched through my pastel stash and uncovered a box of pastels that I had labeled 'darks'. They were dark and quite ugly....black and brown for the most part. Some of them were huge. I recalled getting a set of large unisons on eBay but not liking the colors. Now they were perfect! It really is funny how my perception of 'ugly' has changed over the years.
|My box of spare darks|
The big fat Unisons were a better match for the surface but I still was not happy. The pastel was sitting on top of all of the grooves. I took a piece of pipe foam and rubbed in the first layer. That was it! The next layers went on top of the grooves but this time there was something underneath. I just kept building layers in this manner until I was finished.
The texture was definitely an interesting challenge. I highly recommend this kind of surface if you want to get away from painting too much detail. The rough surface does not allow fine detail! I was able to achieve a suggestion of detail though and that was a lot of fun!
|building up layers of color|