2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Monday, December 26, 2016

It's Mini Week! How to Paint on the Go

'Red and Green'        2.5 x 3.5      pastel       ©Karen Margulis
available $25
It is mini week here on the blog!  I am back from my mom's birthday cruise with a collection of mini pastels that I painted while I was away. There is nothing more relaxing than sitting in a lounge chair at sea and painting. The gentle sea breeze and a bit of warm sunshine equals total relaxation. It is the perfect combination that leads to a fun painting session. I love lounge chair painting but it needs to be stress free and easy in order for it to be fun.

After several years of painting on the go I have perfected my systems. I have several set-ups for plein air painting with pastels. The one I choose depends on the type of travel I am doing. When I want to keep my art supplies at a bare minimum I bring the set-up illustrated below. This set up is small and light but allows me to paint up to 6x8 with ease. 

My smallest travel pastel set-up....a Heilman single sketch box and a book cover case!
 Here are the details of this set-up:

  • I use a Heilman single sketch box. I used to use a cigar box and then an old Terry Ludwig pastel box. Both of these worked fine but the Heilman is sturdier and protects my pastels better. It also doubles as a pochade box so you can put your paper on the inside lid. I don't use the box in this way. I prefer to use a 5x7 piece of foam core and some bankers clasps to hold my paper. 
  • Support board: I cut a piece of foam core to 5x7 and place it inside of a clear bag for protection. You could also cover it with clear contact paper. I use bankers clasps to hold my paper on the board so I don't have to carry tape.
  • I store blank pastel paper in a 5x7 plastic portfolio book by Itoya. I put the finished paintings in this book. (This trip I didn't have my book so I had to improvise ...more on this later this week!)
  • Pastels: I fill my box with bits and pieces of pastels. The small pieces allow me to have more variety. I make sue to have a good range of colors and values. I love the unorganized box. It really pushes me to make interesting color choices
  • Miscellaneous: small pack of wipes and a small micro fiber washcloth (I use this to protect my chair or table from pastel dust)



a nice mix of colors...all bits and pieces of various pastels
including Terry Ludwig and  Girault

This cruise I didn't paint plein air from my lounge chair. Instead I had an envelope of small reference photos. I just grabbed a random selection from my stash. It was fun going through the photos looking for subject matter. It also resulted in a wide variety of paintings!  I did do several poppy minis so I have grouped them here in today's post. They are all 2.5 x 3.5 inches on a variety of sanded papers.

All minis will be available in my Etsy shop for $25 each with free shipping. Click here to visit my shop. 





All mini poppy paintings are 2.5 x 3.5 inches and are available in my Etsy shop

No comments: