|'Profusion' 8x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
The final mystery underpainting was an interesting journey. I have been blogging about the three mystery underpaintings I discovered last week. Since the original reference photos were lost I had no idea what my intentions were for these underpaintings. That made it more fun!
The last underpainting was an oil stain on Uart paper. I love doing oil underpainting because of the cool drips but I am usually too impatient to go bother with dragging out paint, brushes and turpenoid. See more about oils stain underpaintings here.
Now I get to decide what this painting should me. My first impression was that it should be a marsh. The drips resembled marsh grasses to me.
|No this won't work!|
I took out my stack of marsh photos and found a few that might work. I decided on an old photo from New Jersey. I took this at sunrise as we drove along the highway. I was excited to start but then realized it would take too much away from the underpainting to make this scene work. I scrapped it and went in a totally different direction.
|Ah, this is a better choice|
By the way thank you to all of you who translated the box for me!