|'Dancing with the Stars' 9x12 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
|side view of the new Uart Premium Mounted Boards|
What are they? Here is some information from the Uart website:
"UART’s newest mounted boards are made from a strong PVC material that is the perfect solution for plein air artists or artists alike that are looking for the convenience of UART’s sanded pastel paper pre-mounted on what we believe is the most durable and dent resistant board on the market.
UART’s borderless mounted boards are only 1/8” thick and lightweight making it the right choice for artists on the go. Each board is mounted to the edge with UART Premium Sanded Pastel Paper allowing a consistent texture every time for pastel, charcoal and pencil, and is pH neutral, acid free and capable of handling any type of wet media including watercolor, alcohol and oil washes.
|wet wash with oil paint and turpenoid|
- The most important thing to me is that the mounted Uart paper perform exactly like the unmounted paper. The new board passed this test with flying colors! I depend on the consistent nature of the paper and found that sometimes mounted paper doesn't always perform in the way that I expect. Not so with the new premium mounted boards. The pastel went on the same way it does on unmounted boards. No strange texture was present and I was able to layer as usual.
- I put the board to the test using a wet a drippy wash with oil paint and turpenoid. It was a complete joy to do the wash without worry of buckling or bumpy paper. The board took all of this wet abuse and held up beautifully.
- I didn't count but I was able to get quite a few layers on the board even with the oil stain. I used some very soft pastels including some super soft Senneliers. I still didn't fill the tooth of the paper.
- I had fun with scraping pastel with a pin. The firm surface of the board allowed me to scrape without any issues.
- I love that the paper is flush with the edges of the board. I always paint to the edges of my paper so I don't like having a border. I still taped the board to a bigger piece of foamcore using white artist tape hinges. This allowed me to paint to the edges with out the easel getting in the way.
- The board is very lightweight which will make it good for travel and plein air excursions. I like that each board is individually packaged in a resealable clear bag. This bag will come in handy to carry a finished painting home from a trip or from workshops and classes.
|close up detail|
They are available online at Blicks and Fine Art Store. Here are the links:
http://www.dickblick.com/.../uart-premium-sanded-pastel.../ & and Rochester: http://www.fineartstore.com/p-11314-uart-premium-mounted...