Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, December 08, 2017

Taking Advantage of Rare Georgia Snow

'Shimmering Noon of Winter'          8x10        pastel       ©Karen Margulis
available $145
 In the words of the weatherman "This storm has over performed expectations". It wasn't supposed to snow as much as it did. It's been snowing all day and is scheduled to keep on snowing through the night. I feel like maybe I channeled this snow. I've been painting snow all week long. So I am thrilled to have a chance to get out and paint it (OK I took pictures and came back into my warm and cozy studio!)

After a walk with my iPhone camera I came inside to see what inspired me. It was the grouping of pine trees in my neighbor's back yard that grabbed my attention. I took out a piece of Yi Cai sanded paper because I have some left in my stash and I have been wanting to use it.

I thoroughly enjoyed painting while listening to the radio reports of the Atlanta snow. Since it was still snowing I decided to add some falling snow to my painting.  I will be sharing tips for painting falling snow in some upcoming posts here and on my patreon page.

That was a fun day! I can't wait to get outside tomorrow for some reference photos.



close up detail

The neighbor's yard. I liked the trees.

Glad I found my snow boots!

1 comment:

robertsloan2art said...

Beautiful - and definitely an endurance task! Love the falling snow and the way you captured the mist piling in just beyond the trees, that is so gorgeous. I love your interpretations of this kind of scene and the trees have a lot of character!