|'Summer Breeze' 16x20 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
I needed a wildflower painting to fit my theme. But I didn't have a 16x20 handy for instant gratification. So I did the next best thing.....revive and rework a much older painting. The painting (below) was on Uart so I never threw it away though it was never going to see the light of day.
Can you list the things that are wrong with the original painting?
|The original dud of a painting was 18x24|
- The flowers were blowing in the wind but the grass wasn't! That doesn't make sense.
- The flowers were all on top of the grass rather than integrated into the grasses.
- The grass marks were all the same size and in the same stiff upright direction.
- The yellow flowers were ugly. They were stiff and too dense. Yuck!
- There wasn't much I liked about the painting other than the sky color!
First I marked off a section of the original 18x24 to fit my new 16x20 size. Look closely to see the lines. I used a stiff brush to brush off the top layer of pastel giving me a ghost image of green, yellow and blue shapes. I sprayed a light coat of workable fixative to fix these shapes in place. I then recomposed by blocking in some Queen Annes Lace shapes.
|Remeasured, brushed out and a new beginning|
|Adding back some yellow flowers|