Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, May 24, 2018

A Good Use for Your Plein Air Studies


'Chasing the Clouds'         8x10         pastel        ©Karen Margulis
available $145

 I have been meaning to do more of this. Ever since Richard McKinley suggested I use my plein air studies for studio paintings. That was a few years ago during his Lake Tahoe workshop.  I really haven't done much with that idea though. I usually come home from a trip or plein air outing and throw my paintings in a box.  Once I am home and wrapped up in everyday life I don't take time to revisit these little studies.


I am missing out on one of the benefits of Plein air painting. Making use of the studies. These studies may not always be great or frameable  but they do give you better information than a photo.



I discovered that my plein air studies shows the emotional response I had while studying the scene on location. If you were to compare a photo of the scene and my plein air study  you would see the drama in the sky and feel the wind in the painting.  You can't see that in the photo. When I look at the study I am reminded of the wind and the ever-changing drama in the sky. Now to recapture that drama in a studio painting!



the 5x5 plein air study used for inspiration
The plain air study definitely captured the colors I saw in the sky and grasses so I kept the same palette for the studio painting. I chose to lower the horizon so that I could focus more on the sky.
What else did I change from the study?

If you would like to see the video demonstration of this painting head over to my Patreon page. We are focused on the topic of plein air for the month of May. www.patreon.com/karenmargulis


1 comment:

monalisa said...

Magnífico Karen! Muy claras tus enseñanzas. Si bien no me dideco con toda mi pasión a la tiza pastel, si aplico lo que enseñas en fieltro. Te diré que es igual de válido!
Me encanta tu trabajo! Cariños Marcela