Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, July 12, 2018

The Best Solution Ever for Traveling with Pastels

'Memories of France'            5x7            pastel           ©Karen Margulis
available $45
Enjoy this post from the archives while I am away in Provence. I have my trusty portfolio book with paper with me!

One of the most important things to consider when traveling with pastels is how to carry and store your paper and finished paintings.  I have been using this solution for several years and It has been the Best!! Read on to see how I transport my  paper and paintings.

Plastic portfolio books by Itoya

  •  When I travel I bring an assortment of my favorite sanded pastel papers. Uart, Pastel Premier, 
       Tip: Bring paper that you are familiar with. Unless you have a lot of room and want to                     experiment and play it is safer to work on paper you know.
  • I cut full sheets of the papers into smaller sizes both 5x7 and 8x10. I use a ruler and scissors or utility knife to cut the paper. (saves money)
  • I sometimes tone some of the Uart paper in my favorite plein air color (a medium value gray)
  • I fill my Itoya plastic portfolio folders wit the cut paper. These folders have plastic sleeves that work great for protecting and transporting paper.
  • I put finished paintings back into the plastic sleeve of the folder. This is how I transport and protect my finished paintings. (yes a little residual pastel dust is left on the plastic but not enough to harm the painting.)
  • The plastic folders are great for sharing your work with others and keeping the paintings safe. 
  • The loaded folders are slipped into my backpack. The perfect solution for keeping both paper and paintings safe!
'Memories of France II'      5x7      $45

No comments: