Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, April 02, 2019

A Surprising Painting Result

'Wildflower Surprise'            9x12             pastel        ©Karen Margulis
available $165
 What happens when you take an old and unwanted demo painting and paint over it with clear gesso? You get a gray and muddy textured underpainting to play with! Not only did you save a good piece of paper you get to experience the wonderful world of texture which is sometimes a challenge with pastels.

Have you tired clear gesso on an old painting? Clear gesso has a bit of a gritty texture so not only does it dry clear, it dries with a lightly sanded texture. You can enhance the texture by brushing it on with random brushstrokes. When you paint over the pastel on the old painting you turn it into liquid paint and depending on the colors used you will get a totally unique underpainting.

Have a look at my results:



my finished underpainting....a nice middle to dark value gray
When it was dry I knew it would be perfect for a wildflower meadow painting that I have been wanting to do. The texture added so much interest to the grasses. I even enjoyed the texture in my clouds.

TIP: If you want to downplay the texture you can rub the pastel layer into the paper. If you really want a smooth area use some sandpaper to smooth out those areas.

No comments: