Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

My Art Journey Began Here

'The Moment'           20x16              pastel            ©Karen Margulis
available 
I am home after an amazing workshop experience. It was just the right combination of a magical location and workshop space, warm and thoughtful hospitality and an enthusiastic and talented group of artists. It was extra special for me to return to the location where my art journey truly began....this time as an instructor. There is so much I have shared with you about the workshops I have taken here with Stan Sperlak and now I get to share my stories as a guest instructor. It was truly an honor to have the opportunity to share what I have learned. 

I will break this review into two parts beginning with the opening reception the evening before the workshop. I arrived the day before the reception evening so we spent the day getting ready. I even had some time to paint the beautiful spring landscape on the farm.  One of the big surprises was to see the 8 foot banners hanging on the front of the barn. It was the coolest! (look for these to be hung in my studio!)


How cool is this?

I had prepared a special demo for the reception. I shared my art journey story and how I had experienced an epiphany of sorts as a student of Stans at a workshop in 2008. It was then when I discovered my passion for 'weeds' and gave myself permission to paint what I truly loved.
It changed the course of my art journey.


 It was a wonderful experience to revisit the same weeds (which I now know to be pennisetum) which inspired my exploration of wildflowers as a painting subject. I had a photo of the grasses that I took back in 2008. It was the inspiration for the evening demo.


Demo in progress!

All set up for the Thursday evening reception. This is a review from the loft of the barn.
I will be sharing more details and photos from this workshop in another post. I highly recommend making the Goshen School of Art at Crow Creek Farm a bucket list workshop destination! Here is a link to the workshop descriptions:http://www.stansperlak.com/2019%20Workshop%20Descriptions.pdf

2 comments:

leslie said...

The banners are incredible! Congratulations... a wonderful honor and achievement. Would love to take a workshop with you one day.

Dianne Parks said...

What a great art journey you have had and now, as an instructor, going back to the place where you began. I can just imagine how you felt when you saw the banners! Congratulations, Karen!