Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

What to do When you aren't Inspired


'A Perfect Ending'               8x10              pastel               ©Karen Margulis
available in my Etsy shop $175


"Inspiration comes from doing"      Robert Genn

That is excellent advice from Robert Genn and it was just what happened to me yesterday.  I had not painted in several days. I am busy getting ready for company and three big back to back trips this fall. But I was feeling the need to paint. The problem....I wasn't particularly inspired and I was tired. I am a better morning person but it was 6:00 pm and I decided to just try to paint. 

It wasn't working. I selected a wildflower meadow with a little red barn. I did an underpainting on a homemade board. The underpainting was blah but I soldiered on. I didn't get too far when I gave up. I wasn't feeling it! I could have thrown in the towel and walked away but I decided to change direction instead. I opened my unfiled photo box and pulled out an old friend photo.....this is a scene I've painted several times. It was speaking to me.

I brushed out the painting that was frustrating me and redrew my new composition. I jumped right in with a new and exciting palette and before long I was enjoying the process again! It was 7:30 before I knew it! I had entered the zone and was feeling inspired! I am so glad I decided to paint but even better I am glad I decided to stick with it!  Yes Robert is correct.....Inspiration comes from doing!

The uninspiring underpainting 


Brushing out old pastel and drawing the new scene.


2 comments:

Kerry said...

Of all the paintings of yours that I have seen this is the most beautiful. It is up there with a Monet painting. It has the warmth and the glow that I expect to see in his work.

Debbie Nolan said...

Karen just gorgeous and thanks for the inspiring message too...have a great day.