Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Painting Our Beautiful World Project : Nantucket Island

'Nantucket Summer'             9x12             pastel              ©Karen Margulis
available in my Etsy shop $175
I came up with an idea yesterday. We were cleaning out a closet and found two huge maps. One was a map of the world and the other of the United States. I spent some time looking over the maps reminiscing about the beautiful places I have visited. I have painted many of them over the years. It occurred to be that it would be wonderful to do a painting from every state and every country I have visited.  It would be be a fun project to do during this time of hibernation! I will call this the 'Painting our Beautiful World Project'

Today I share my first beautiful place. They will be in no order of preference and some may fit in with my art play activities such as this one.  This is Nantucket Island. I love this place and it shares a part of my heart, soul and history. My grandfather was born and raised on Nantucket and I was able to trace our family (the Taylors) back to the original settlers of the island.  We were able to visit several years ago and meet with a cousin also born and raised on the island. It was a strange feeling.....I felt like I had been there many times....I knew the streets. It was all so familiar.  I need to return.

About this painting: It was supposed to be my monochromatic painting with my favorite color. But I couldn't stop at turquoise and I added color. I did manage to let some of the underpainting peek through. I'll try for the monochromatic painting another time.  The painting is on White Wallis sanded paper with some clear gesso on the land part of the painting for texture. I used Terry Ludwig pastels and some Nupastels. 

The turquoise underpainting

A close up

No comments: