Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, April 05, 2020

I Demonstrate a No Fail Start for a Pastel Painting



'Wild and Free'              9x12               pastel                ©Karen Margulis
available $175

This painting brings back some wild memories! I decided to make a video of the painting and I couldn't help narrating! You can see the video on my YouTube channel. Keep reading for the story behind this painting of state number six in my Paint our Beautiful World Project.






My good friends and I call ourselves the VIPS which stands for Vanishing Image Painters. Some of my best memories were made on trips with the VIPS. One year we joined some other friends for a trip to Grand Teton National Park. The VIPS decided to drive from Georgia and meet our friends. I planned our route to go through Colorado at the height of wildflower season. We even got to attend the Crested Butte Wildflower Festival. It was all amazing and just when I thought it couldn't get more heavenly something surprised me. The highlight of the trip was a wild ride in a jeep!

I had always dreamed of going to Yankee Boy Basin during wildflower season. I convinced the VIPS to take a jeep tour to the upper mountain meadows. I didn't realize how much I was afraid of heights! The dirt road was extremely narrow and the drop offs were unbelievably steep. I hung on for dear life as I snapped as many photos as I could. Most of them were a blur but the memory of the final destination is crystal clear. It was truly heaven on earth for this wildflower lover. Thank you VIPS!



I used Terry Ludwig pastels Richard McKinley selection for this painting
If you are a Patron of my Patreon group look for a lesson with advanced commentary on this demo coming on Wednesday!!

1 comment:

Hyn Patty said...

What a gorgeous painting! I'm sad I won't get out to the Grand Tetons this summer like I usually try to do. Ah well, maybe next year. I love your burgundy peeking through in this painting. It really gives it life.